Google+

My Last Cover for the Last Issue of Nickelodeon Magazine :(

SpongeBob Holiday Cover Nickelodeon Magazine Patrick Squidward Gary Christmas Card sweaters mistletoe candy cane presents Santa hat

The last cover for the last issue of Nickelodeon Magazine. Very very sad to see the magazine close its doors, but I'm happy that I got the chance to work with so many great people at Nick Mag for the last 13 years. Proper eulogy will follow when I can properly gather the right words. I am very honored to have the opportunity to paint this final cover, capping a thirteen-year relationship with the coolest magazine on the planet.

SpongeBob Holiday Cover Nickelodeon Magazine Patrick Squidward Gary Christmas Card sweaters mistletoe candy cane presents Santa hat

Here’s the version of the painting that I sent in to the magazine, before all the text overlays and color adjustments.

I tried something new on this one...I used Photoshop to put a knit-sweater texture on all the sweaters. I never knew how to do it before, but all I had to do was import a texture that I found online, then cut it to shape, adjust the angle and make the layer mode into Overlay. It worked!

Original drawing in marker on printer paper. Inked in Illustrator CS3. Painted in ArtRage 2.5 "Knit sweater" Texture applied in Photoshop CS3.

I’ll run a “making of” process feature as soon as I have time to put it together. In the meantime, head to your newsstand to pick up this historic final issue.

12 comments:

leifpeng said...

That's a lovely cover, Sherm - and I'm sorry to hear the mag is ending. A thirteen year relationship with a steady client - *whew!* - every illustrator/cartoonist's dream come true! You're a very lucky dude to have had that. Hopefully some other new one will arise out of this unfortunate ending.

Bob Flynn said...

Looks great, Sherm! I'm gonna try to pick up a copy on my way home from work. SB looks adorable.

Jay Watson said...

A BEAUTIFUL COVER where I delight in the fact that even at the close of the mag, you've got the indefatigueable Sponge Bob smiling. Never give up!
Kudos,
r/e

Zirta said...

One can feel the sadness of it being the last cover, huh?

My apologies :(

Sherm said...

Leif: I didn't even realize that it had been that long until Chris Duffy sent me the bound volume from the first full year that my comics were running. 1996!

Bob: Thanks, man...glad you were able to do some GREAT comics for Nick mag while the opportunity still existed!

Rogue: That's why SpongeBob is so popular...he gives people playfulness and hope ^_^

ziRta: Yes, bittersweet...it's the only cover like it. Normall we try to make a BIG impact image, but thisone is a subtle farewell. I have felt more melancholy about this event than any in a long time. Full eulogy on the blog soon.

Dan Moynihan said...

Hey Sherm - great cover!
So sad that it's the last issue!

Sherm said...

Hi Dan! Thank you and yes, it is a totally sad bummer. Nick Mag was ALL about fun and never talked down to kids. Great friends and great hearts, and an absolute love for real cartoons. Let's never forget them and remember to take nothing for granted. The only thing that can cheer me up is looking at your illustrations on your website! I'm clicking over now :)

anji said...

The sweaters are a nice touch. Very nice!

dave roman said...

Great way to go out! Thanks for all the great work and kind words about the magazine!

Unknown said...

Sherm, I just wanted to let you know that my son picked up a copy of this one and just loved it. He laughed and laughed at Squidward and Gary, particularly Gary's kissy-lips.

We're all sad to see the end of Nick Magazine and getting to see your great work there. :(

Sherm said...

Dave: You guys were a joy to work with and I'm looking forward to working with you again soon. Thanks for the happy thoughts ^_^

Butch: Thanks for telling me that story...It really means a lot to hear that my cover art could make a kid laugh like that!

Tanya said...

I'm a little late in commenting...but I just wanted to let you know how much I loved seeing your Nick Mag covers, Sherm - still have the holiday one from last year (it's my favorite). :) It really is a shame the magazine had to shut down like that - I'll definitely miss it.